Monday, May 12, 2014

Language

What language am I speaking? What language is he speaking? I am getting so mixed up! As the token french speaking person in our sub-group it is my responsibility to translate back and forth as we work in our project, order food in a restaurant, navigate directions with the taxi drivers, communicate with hotel and other tourist staff, help colleagues bargain in the souk for better prices ... all this has resulted in some rather strange occurrences. I find myself speaking English with a French grammar rules, I find myself speaking English with French intonation. I can't remember English words and so just use the French equivalent but worst of all - I have started translating to my colleagues, even when the speaker is communicating in English!

I am not sure whether this means I am completely immersed in the language of the country or whether I am just going completely insane!!

No comments:

Post a Comment